I haven't been home in 7 months.
That is a very long time.
And boy does it feel good.
The being home part, not the long time part.
I drove home with Landen. Some of our trip highlights:
Annie Waits- Mix CD
Life is a Journey- Anastasia Soundtrack
On the Radio- Regina Spektor
Beautiful Soul-
Entire Wicked Soundtrack
Agony- Into the Woods Soundtrack
Bend and Break- Keane
CASCADA!!!
Driving into Las Vegas is an amazing experience, but only if it's done right. You should come at night from the North on I-15. Nothing for miles and miles besides a couple of factories off to your right and invisible sagebrush to your left and then all of the sudden, you peak the crest, come up between two mountains, and the entire city is before you. You can see the tiny strip of hotels in the center, and then the mountain to mountain expanse of lights in between. I haven't seen that in... it's probably been years now. It was soooo wonderful tonight.
A thought:
I feel like my college life is pretty run of the mill. Compared to the normal college lifestyle, I lead a very tame existence. Lots of study and work. But it's funny how different you realize your life is when you aren't around college students. Like how you have to stay up and blog long after your family is asleep, because you haven't gone to sleep before midnight in...once again, it's probably been years. Luckily that's not true, but it's been long enough and rare enough that I don't remember.
Going back to my origional statement: Home life is way different. For example,
I walk in the door.
Tracy: Mom, you bought a new Christmas Tree. I like it.
Mom: I didn't buy a new Christmas Tree.
Tracy: Are you sure, it seems quite a bit bigger than I remember.
I open the fridge.
Tracy: Mom are we having a party of something this weekend.
Mom: No, why do you ask?
Tracy: There's just so much food in here.
Mom: Well I went to shopping today.
(I guess I should note the disimilarity between the eating habits of 6 college girls and 2 teenage boys. one group far out-eats the other).
*Situations and diologue quoted from life. I was legitimately suprised. Seriously.
I've just become so perfectly content with getting by, that I forgot what it was like to have my own room, well guest room. And I forgot what it was like to have access to a car. And a piano. And dogs. And to just buy new shoes when you need them. Or buy anything merely because you want it. It's amazing! I think it's good for me to be happy with what I have right now. With our apartment's little Christmas tree and our bare minimum groceries- I think we can get by with just milk, eggs, rice, pasta, bread, and maybe some concentrate juice for vitamins and minerals. Ok so we're not quite that bad, but almost. We only spent $46 a person for groceries in November AND December. Yep, we're amazing!
I love my life, and feel unbelievably blessed. But its nice to be home and not have to worry about any of that for at least a couple of days.
7 months, eh? I've been to Las Vegas at least 3 times this year! :-)
ReplyDeleteHa I love the part about the comparison between 6 college girls and 2 teenage boys. Maybe it's a good thing that yall don't buy much groceries...it means you're going on lots of dates, right? :-)