Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Car Rental

A life landmark happened this week. I rented my first car. And guess what? I reserved a small car, but they didn't have any when I got there, so they gave me this:

Isn't it pretty? And it drives like a dream. On Sunday I went for a nice long drive up and down Indian Hills and behind the temple and through the Tree Streets just because. I love driving. I don't understand why, but I do. Although I do have to say I was a little paranoid I was going to do something to it. You know, that my first car accident would be in this gorgeous rental car. It was returned in one piece though--no worries.

But you know, it's amazing how much more independent you feel when you have access to a car. I could run errands and help people out that needed a ride. I felt like I was a valid adult. That I could actually contribute to my family and friend's lives. I mean, I know I do that even when I don't have a car, but the extent of my abilities is limited. I like feeling mobile, one of the many reasons London was so wonderful. The tube=freedom to go wherever I wanted. I had that for four months and so being somewhat paralyzed to my immediate vicinity has been a bit of a trial. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it was a nice treat to experience that again for a week.

No comments:

Post a Comment